City of Carson Newsletter

2ND Qtr 2008


A great big thank you to Frank Rose and Kenny Love for coming to the aid of the community center during the snowfalls and plowing the sidewalks. This has saved Kristina hours of time and back pain!

Attention City of Carson Landowners: Cutting of Weeds, Brush and Grass

Pursuant to City Ordinance 185 it is the duty of the owner or owners to cut, mow and maintain the grass, brush, and weeds on their lots so as not to exceed the following height specifications:

1. Residential, Business, and Industrial Areas-Height not to exceed six inches (6")

2. Agriculture Areas - Height not to exceed fifteen inches (15")

Grass, weeds and brush that are allowed to grow in excess of the above-specified limitations are deemed to be violations of this ordinance and considered a nuisance. Failure to comply with the provisions of this ordinance will result in City mowing, cutting or removing the weeds, and the cost of the labor and material being billed to the landowner. Such cost is to be paid to the City of Carson within thirty days. Failure to pay within 30 days will result in costs being added to property taxes.


City Hall Office Closings

Please make a note that the City Hall office will be closing at noon on April 16, 2008 and all day on April 17, 2008 . The office will also be closed on May 26, 2008 in observance of Memorial Day.


Carson Christmas Needs You

Carson Christmas needs to have about 800 plastic caps from gallon milk jugs for the next Christmas walk. If you would like to donate please wash them and give to Joyce McClain or leave at City Hall. This would be greatly appreciated.

Early Warning Siren System

The City of Carson Early Warning Siren System will be tested the first Saturday morning of each month at approximately 10 AM starting in the Spring months through Fall.

Smoke Alarm Batteries

It is recommended that we change our smoke alarm batteries every six months. The first day of Spring and the first day of Fall are two easy days to associate with changing smoke alarm batteries. Protect your family. Change batteries now.


Iowa One Call Information

Before doing any digging or disturbing of the ground, remember to call Iowa One Call at 1-800-292-8989 or their new number "811". This is a necessary call even if you are simply planting trees or bushes. Iowa One Call will notify all area utility companies of the impending dig. Within 48 hours all utilities will come to your property and "locate" their underground lines. If you dig before calling Iowa One Call and you happen to hit an underground line, it will be your responsibility to pay for the repair.

Do you plan on watering your lawn, flowerbeds, or filling up a swimming pool this Spring or Summer? Here is a reminder*

The residential sewer rate is based off of water gallons used. Therefore if you experience high water usage due to watering of lawn, flowerbeds, or filling a swimming pool, etc. the sewer bill portion of your water bill will also reflect the usage. The residential sewer rate is $17.00 (minimum) for the first 1,000 gallons of water used. Every one thousand gallons or fraction thereof, of usage above the minimum shall be charged at the rate of $4.10 per 1,000 gallons or fraction thereof. (Per City Code Chapter 99, adopted 01/2007) Please take this into consideration when your are using water this Spring or Summer.


The Cost of Water

The cost of WATER: If 1,000 gallons of water = $7.70; 100 gallons of water = $.77; 10 gallons of water = $.08

The cost of POP: If 24 cans of 12 oz. soft drink (2 gallons) = $5.00; 10 gallons of soft drink = $25.00

The cost of MILK: If one gallon of milk = $2.49; 10 gallons of milk = $24.90

The cost of JUICE: If one gallon of juice = $2.00; 10 gallons of juice = $20.00

Sometimes we get upset to think that we have to pay "so much" for our water. In reality, it's one of the best bargains around today. We fill our shopping carts with soft drinks, milks and juices...and think nothing of the cost when we check out. Yet, the most important thing our body needs to survive (water) is the one thing we complain about the most when the price goes up. Please think about the comparison above when you have concerns about your water bill. The next time someone offers you their "two cents worth"..tell them you'll take it in water!

Community Service

If you know an individual or group that would be interested in community service please contact Carson City Hall at 484-3636. There are several projects that need completed where this extra help would be appreciated.


Door-To-Door Solicitation and the City

Along with the warm weather coming around the corner so will the door to door solicitors. Here is important information pertaining to Peddlers, Solicitors and Transient Merchants that may come door to door. Carson Code states that peddlers, solicitors and transient merchants must register with City Hall prior to engaging in peddling, soliciting or in the business of a transient merchant. They must carry a copy of this registration with them while conducting their business and must be willing to show the registration when asked. According to City Code Chapter 122.07 peddlers and solicitors may conduct their business only between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm .

If the solicitor refuses to show you his/her registration, or is soliciting outside of the allotted hours you should contact the Pottawattamie County Sheriff Department's non-emergency phone number and request that a sheriff deputy come and address the situation. Pottawattamie County 's non-emergency phone number is (712) 328-5737.

Here are some suggestions to keep in mind when you encounter a door-to-door salesperson: 1) DO NOT INVITE THEM INTO YOUR HOME; 2) Ask to see their Peddlers, Solicitors, or Transient Merchant Permit from the City of Carson; 3) If you can safely observe, note a description of the vehicle they are driving and get a license plate number if possible. Never give out information about your schedule or personal/family life and do not answer any questions regarding your neighbors (when they will be home, etc.)


"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success." - Henry Ford


Carson 2008 Jubilee

We would like to have you come and join us on June 28th and June 29th for a fun filled weekend. We have tried to include activities for everyone. Some of the things in the works include: cow pie bingo, soap box derby, National lawn mower races, children games sponsored by the 4-H and Boy Scouts, outside volleyball tournaments (tentative), Big Wheel races, poker run (tentative), sky divers, American Idol contest, push ball and pancake breakfast on Sunday morning (tentative). We will be holding a parade for clowns on Saturday. Be working on your clown outfit, soap box derby car and get your Big Wheel out. Be thinking of a volleyball team or maybe you would like to do something for the American Idol contest. Also, be ready for a spetacular fireworks show on Saturday evening. Along with the festivities we will be having a raffle for a 1/2 a beef. If you would like to volunteer to help with the very busy weekend contact Nancy Strong at 484-3990 or Joyce McClain at 484-2263. Be sure to watch the Botna Valley Reporter for a complete schedule and sign up information for the various events.


2008 Community Needs Assessment Opinion Survey

The City Council and Mayor of Carson, Iowa invite you to comment on upcoming issues that will affect the community budget, strategic planning and community improvements. As citizens of the City of Carson , you are asked to comment during a number of public forums on community issues and costs. This survey is another form of gathering public comment.

The City Council and Mayor are very interested in your opinion!

The Southwest Iowa Planning Council (SWIPCO) is conducting this survey. The survey will be sent to each residence as well as businesses in late March or early April. Upon completion of your survey, return it to SWIPCO in the provided envelope. Please do not sign your response unless you wish to. SWIPCO will be compiling the survey results. The results will be available to the public and City Officials sometime soon after June 1, 2008 . If you have any questions, contact MJ Broomfield or Jeremy Middents at SWIPCO 1-866-279-4720.


Donor Wall Brick Sales

Hopefully everyone has had a chance to stop by the Community Center to see the donor wall that was unveiled during the 2007 Carson Christmas Walk. One side of the wall has been completed with donor bricks and we are still selling engraved bricks to complete the other side. If you would like to purchase an engraved brick for $100.00 for your family or in memory or honor of a loved one please contact City Hall for an order form. Thank you for your continued support.


Honoring Iowa 's Fallen Soldiers

Upon taking office, the Governor signed his first Executive Order calling for flags to be flown at half staff through the state of Iowa to honor fallen soldiers. The Governor's directive applies to all U.S. and state flags under the control of the state. H.R. 692, signed by President Bush in June 2007, requires federal government agencies in the state to comply with the Governor*s order. If you would like to be notified when orders to fly the flag at half staff are issued, please visit .



If you haven't had the chance to stop by and check out the facility it is the time to do it! New additions to the room include an additional elliptical machine and 2 work out mats. Contact Kristina at 484-3636 with questions or to sign up. The fitness center hours are 4:30 am to 12:00 am , 7 days a week. Give the center a try for a month for $15.00 or for an Annual single membership - $100.00, Couple Annual membership - $150.00 and Family Annual membership - $200.00.

*Yoga Classes: March 26, 2008 thru April 30, 2008 on Wednesday evenings from 7:00 pm to 8:00pm . Class fee is $36.00 for 6 classes. Class size is limited so register early - 1st come 1st serve. Sign up at the Carson City Hall .

*Lifestyle Fitness: March 17, 2008 thru April 24, 2008 on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6:30 to 7:30 . $48 for twice a week or $24.00 for once a week. Session lasts 6 weeks. Sign up at the Carson City Hall .



Carson Pet Licenses Required: If you own a cat or dog over the age of 4 months it is required that you obtain an annual City Pet License from the City Clerk*s office. The license expires on December 31st of each year. In order to obtain a pet license please contact the City Clerk*s office and provide a copy of your pet*s current rabies certificate. Carson Code Section 56.01.


NUMBER RESTRICTED. It is unlawful for any person to own, keep or harbor at any time more than a combination of two (2) dogs or two (2) cats over the age of four months per residential or dwelling unit in the City; provided however, this section does not apply to: A boarding kennel or commercial kennel as defined by Chapter 162 of the Code of Iowa; or Cats or Dogs under the age of four (4) months; or Specific animals owned, kept or harbored by a person prior to January 1, 2000; or Any specific animals owned and kept by an individual upon moving into the City, which specific animals may be owned, harbored or kept for the remainder of the animals* lives, if the animals are licensed as provided for in Chapter 56 of this Code of Ordinances. Carson Code Section 55.09